The transfer of refugee children from Calais to Britain has been paused while the clearance of the camp is under way, the Home Office has announced.
Officials declined to say when the transfers might resume, but the charity Citizens UK said there were up to 1,000 unaccompanied children, many with the right to sanctuary in Britain, before the clearance operation began on Monday.
Citizens UK also said 235 children had been brought to Britain, including those who have family links to the UK as well as the first of the vulnerable children to be brought to Britain under the Dubs amendment.
“Due to planned operational activity in Calais, and at the request of the French authorities, we have reluctantly agreed that the transfer process will be temporarily paused,” a Home Office spokesperson said on Monday.
The home secretary, Amber Rudd, is expected to give some indication of how the situation in Calais is expected to unfold when she updates MPs in the House of Commons later on Monday afternoon.
Full Article in The Guardian – www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/24/transfer-of-refugee-children-to-the-uk-on-hold-as-calais-is-cleared
Further news stories on this topic:
The Telegraph – Officials only challenge age of child refugees if they look over 25.
Human Rights Watch – France, UK Failing Unaccompanied Children in Calais.
The Telegraph – Revealed: The missed warnings over child refugees.
The Guardian – Anger as ‘panicking’ Home Office puts minors in detention centre.